Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Book Eighteen-Patience Instead of Pride


I understand that man is the frailest of all creatures. Yet, he can be resilient and endure by his wits. I have used my quick thinking to get out of ominous situations. It helped me escape from the cave of the Cyclops. While my body may not have the toughness of other creatures, my mind is the strength that helps me articulate and manipulate my way to achieve any purpose.
I no longer underestimate the power of the gods. It is the gods who bring us bliss or miseries. There was a time when I thought that I could count on myself alone without their help. Now I know that no man should taunt them. I am now looking forward to being at peace with the gifts that the gods may give me. For they have given me many.
I thought I needed to venture out to be happy, and now all that seems important is home. By leaving I left my wife at risk to be dishonored and my house to be put in shambles. I lived dangerously when I was younger just as these suitors in front of me. Early in my travels I wanted selfish praise, and I foolishly angered Poseidon by revealing my identity to the Cyclops.
The weakness of my narcissism spurred on my adventures, but put me in great danger. Now I must use patience and endure the treatment I am given disguised as a beggar. I must use my patience and not act because of my pride, and then I will be able to strike at the intruders who are destroying my home. Only then can I achieve my yearning to succeed in reuniting with my home and family.

1 comment:

stephania said...

i love this blog so much, i think i will link it.