Monday, March 10, 2008

Book Seventeen-The beggar At the Manor


After reuniting with my son Telemakhos, he left Eumaeus's hut and heads to our palace, where he receives a very happy, tearful welcome home from his mother, Penelope and from the nurse Eurycleia. Then , in the palace he meets two men named Piraeus and Theoclymenus. He tells Piraeus not to bring his gifts from Menelaus to the palace because he fears that those awful suitors will steal them if they kill him. Then, Telemakhos sits down to eat with Penelope and tells her what little news he received from me. He also dosn't reveal that he has seen me in Eumaeus's hut. Then Theoclymenus says that he thinks that I am in Ithaca at the moment. Meanwhile, Eumaeus and I set out toward the town in the steps of Telemakhos. On the way, we encounter a man named Melanthius who is a base subordinate of the suitors. He evokes rage on my friend Eumaeus and ends up kicking me while I am dressed as a beggar. What a ghastly, disgusting fool! After this event, I go to my palace and once again, I am treated like dirt. I beg for food and the suitors give it to me with great reluctance, but one heartless suitor named Antinoos goes out of his way to insult me. This cruel treatment never seems to end! So, I give this man a run for his money and answer insult with insult. However, this donn't go to well for he hits me with a stool which even disgusts the other suitors. Report of this cruelty reaches Penelope, who asks to have the beggar, or myself brought to her so that she can question him about me. However, I don't want the suitors to see me heading toward the queen’s room. Eumaeus then announces that he must return to his hut and hogs, leaving me alone with Telemachus and the suitors.

No comments: