Sunday, March 9, 2008

Book Sixteen-Father and Son


I was sitting in Eumaeus's hut, when suddenly, my long lost son Telemakhos showed up. Eumaeus told him my story and asked Telemakhos if I, who was disquised as a stranger could stay at his palace. Tellemakhos is afraid of what the suitors might do to them, so he says no. Then, Eumaeus goes to the palace and tells Penelope that Telemakhos has returned. Then, the two of us were left in Eumaeus's hut alone. Telemakhos had no idea who I was since I was still disguised as the stranger. Then, Athena came and turned me from a raggedy old man into myself. I couldn't belive the look on my sons face when he saw that the stranger was me. He was very suprised and confused, but I told him how Athena had changed me back. We were beside ourselves. We gave each other gigantic hugs and started crying. We cried for many minutes without end. Then, I recounted my adventures out at sea and my experiences with the Phaecians. Next we began to plot our revenge on the suitors. We then decided that I will go to the palace, dressed as a beggar. While I'm distracting the suitors, Telemakhos will hide all of the armament so that they won't find it. Then, we will get some of the weapons and use them to fight off the suitors. Meanwhile, at the palace, a messenger comes and tells everyone that Telemakhos has returned. This information was supposed to be shared with Penelope only, so the suitors wouldn't get outraged. But obviously, this angered the suitors, because Telemakhos's return meant that their plan hadn't worked. Then, the suitors thought of another plan which was to kill Telemakhos right away. Everyone agreed to this except Amphinomos, who said that he wanted to wait and see what the gods wanted to do. This became their plan. My wife Penelope finds out that the suitors have been plotting her sons death, and rushed to them. She begins to yell at Antinoos, telling him to stop plotting all this, and that he should be thankful, because Odysseus had been so kind to his father, when he needed help. Then, Eurymakhos calms her down, by telling her that he is grateful for Odysseus' kindness, and that he thinks dearly of Telemakhos. My foolish wife believes him, even though it is a lie, as he was the one who plotted and planned the death of Telemakhos. Sometimes in life, one must need to know when to stop believing in ideas or concerns.

No comments: